Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Unrivalled opportunity to join a global multi-billion-pound turnover end-user organisation based in Hertfordshire. You will receive a healthy balance of business as usual support (up to 3rd line) and project-based work. Although the role encompasses a broad spectrum of server-based technologies there will be a large emphasis on VMWare\ Hyper-V, and the successful candidate will be the SME in the team with regards to virtualisation.
- Support growing VMware vSphere environment, including Horizon View
- Develop, document, and communicate plans for investing in systems architecture, including analysis of cost reduction opportunities.
- Conduct research on emerging technologies in support of systems development efforts and recommend technologies that will increase cost effectiveness and systems flexibility.
- Optimally utilizing existing computing resources to meet application needs and tracking asset performance / utilization on a continuous basis.
- Leveraging the knowledge in planning for process and performance improvement, providing technical consultation to various groups within Corporate / Divisional IT.
- Staying updated with new technologies and best practices.
- Confer with end-users, clients, or senior management to define business requirements for complex systems and infrastructure development.
- Develop and execute test plans to check infrastructure and systems technical performance. Report on findings and make recommendations for improvement.
- Develop, document, communicate, and enforce a policy for standardizing systems and software as necessary.
- Advise Division IT on corporate standards and how to implement Microsoft best practices
Position requires a high level of technical knowledge in Microsoft Windows based technologies.
- 1 year or more experience running a 24/7 IT Server environment is highly desirable
- MCSE, MCP, MCSA, VCP, MCITP or equivalent required in a Server related discipline
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Windows Server 2008/2012
- Excellent working knowledge of VMWare technologies (vSphere / Horizon View) an advantage
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory 2008/2012 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008/2012
- Microsoft’s SCCM 2007/2012 and SCOM 2007/2012 knowledge would be desirable
- Good knowledge of Office 365
- Good knowledge of Windows 7 and Windows 10
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to deal with demanding situations
- Strong communication written and verbal skills to facilitate the need to work consistently and professionally with users at all levels within the organisation, also with peers and colleagues
- Excellent organising and planning skills
- Previous project management experience an advantage
- Self-starter, team player able to motivate other team members
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities
- Excellent Technical support documentation skills
- Strong interpersonal and consultative skills
- Ability to conduct research into emerging technologies and trends, standards, and products as required
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
Strong knowledge of software evaluation principles and practices