London, United Kingdom
JOB TITLE: Infrastructure Engineer
Purpose of the Position:
This is a senior engineering role, reporting to the ‘Infrastructure Production - Server Compute Manager’. You have the ability to remain technically hands-on, be passionate about IT and will be looking to adopt the best technologies to support efficiencies around repeatable, commoditised activities whilst understanding how the team address technical debt and efficiency enhancements.
You will have worked in environments using Infrastructure as Code (IaC), Configuration Management tooling (e.g. Chef, Puppet, Ansible), and have experience developing solutions to technical and repetitive problems using scripting languages such as PowerShell or Ruby. You’ll have strong background in an Enterprise Windows Infrastructure in Windows Operating Systems, SAN Storage, vSphere, and enterprise networking.
You’ll be naturally open and keen to share knowledge across teams whilst contributing to technical discussions. You’ll be a keen learner, with ability to pick-up new technology very quickly with an ability to do Proof-Of-Concept demos on your own. This position requires you to engage with different teams outside of Server Compute. Excellent communication and presentation skills are a must.
The current IAC Team is geographically distributed across Edinburgh, London and Philadelphia-US. This role is based in Edinburgh office.
We believe that every new hire to the team should be in the top-quartile of technical skills in the industry. We hope that each new team-member raises the bar in terms of process maturity, and technical depth of the entire team.
You will have been on the Powershell / IAC / Automation journey on your own, and would have adopted the key principals of Infrastructure as a Code.
Current IaC Stack
- Chef, Powershell, Ruby, Packer, Vault, Unit Testing, CI/CD, TeamCity, Octopus Deploy, Enterprise Git, Package Management, Powershell Gallery
- Act as a technical Subject Matter Expert (SME) for IaC infrastructure and initiatives.
- Implement and support Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Delivery (CD) systems that underpin Infrastructure as Code.
- Implement and support automated, security controls, governance processes, and compliance validation across the global infrastructure estate.
- Implement solutions in line with the architectural best practices to provide highly available, scalable and self-healing systems.
- Liaison with external teams in Infrastructure and Dev.
Skills / Experience Required:
- Professional Powershell Module development experience is a must.
- Experience using Configuration Management (CM) systems such as Chef, Puppet or Ansible
- Strong background in Enterprise Windows Infrastructure.
- Ability to provide 3rd line technical support across technologies including but not limited to Windows Server 2008/2012/2016, AD, Group Policy, VMWare vSphere, PowerShell, Chef, RHEL 7.
- In-depth experience in Git based development using widely accepted industry standards.
- Prior experience in Test Driven Development.
- Prior experience working in enterprise-class large scale financial environment.
- Prior experience in implementing Compliance and Security policies based on industry standard benchmarks.
- Experience working within remote and geographically dispersed teams.
Bonus points for:
- Mentoring and coaching experience.
- Open Source work in Powershell, Cookbook development, and Automation.
- Experience with Microsoft Azure ARM.